The Minton Art Pottery Studio was established in Kensington, London. in 1870
Under the direction of the painter WS Coleman, the Minton studio encouraged amateur and professional artists, like Victoria Levin, to beautifully decorate china and tiles.
Minton’s production of these high quality ornamental wares continued to the end of the 19th century.
From 1902, a range of slip-trailed majolica wares was added as part of the Minton contribution to Art Nouveau.
Offered in excellent condition, complete with contemporary frame and bearing requisite Minton impressed marks showing full set of three marks – month letter O for October, illegible potters mark and year cypher for 1875.
- Excellent condition.
- No chips, cracks, hairlines or crazing.
- Artwork finely executed and with bright colour.
- Certainly nothing that detracts from the display quality of this rare Art Nouveau plaque
Size & Weight :
- Plaque Measures: 57cm (22.5 inch) in diameter
- Frame: 74cm (29 inch) in diameter & 7cm deep
- Packed Weight: 15000 gms (15 kilos)
The Minton factory was the most popular source of dinnerware made to order for embassies and for heads of state in the 19th century.
Minton also produced some of the finest examples of Parian ware, a marble-like unglazed porcelain body developed during the 1840s.
The French ceramist Léon Arnoux became art director at Minton in 1849 and remained there until 1892. Among his achievements were the development of Renaissance-inspired ceramics such as inlaid earthenwares, pieces painted in the style of Limoges porcelain, and the richly colourful majolica first shown at the Great Exhibition of 1851.
Marc-Louis Solon introduced the pâte-sur-pâte technique to Minton, having previously developed it at Sèvres Porcelain.